Kitchen Update 2

Peach Cobbler ... the continuation

I normally use biscuit flour for the batter which I make with old fashioned oats and just drop them in spoonfuls over the batter but this time, I added the oats to the fruit mix and I used cornmeal with all-purpose flour for the biscuit drop dough. I decided to add a couple of drops of maple flavoring to the batter so I did not totally veer away from my original plan- at least the flavor remains. I made a full tray since this is for my boss's birthday tomorrow.

For the cornmeal biscuit dough
(I doubled the ingredients as I am making a full tray)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour (3 ounces)
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
3 tablespoons golden brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon iodized salt or fine sea salt
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for the baking dish
1/2 cup cold buttermilk
2 tsp maple flavoring (optional)

Make the drop-biscuit dough
1.In a bowl, sift together the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and cut it into the flour by pinching small amounts of the mixture together between your fingertips. Do this until the mixture resembles coarse meal with pea-size pieces of butter mixed throughout. Add the buttermilk and maple flavoring and stir with a rubber spatula just until a wet dough comes together

2. Gently drop spoonfuls of the biscuit dough on top of the peach filling or, if the dough is too sticky to drop, simply spread it unevenly. The dough should be patchy and should not cover the entire surface of the filling.
3. Bake until bubbly and the biscuit top is golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Let cool slightly. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Comments

Popular Posts