Project: Angel Food Cake A Day



Supposedly (again) for Friday... Mangoes, Cream & Crunch

My mangoes are golden ripe at last so it’s time to make the finale for my project. I opted to make it in spring form pan because I want no gaps or holes in the cake. I used vanilla, almond and mango extracts for the cake; and for the frosting- the mangoes which I sliced thinly before mashing with confectioner’s sugar. Then I mixed it with softened Neufchatel cheese. I have developed an affinity to this cheese because it tastes good and not as fattening. Another thing I learned when frosting a cake is to chill it first before frosting. This tightens the cake and makes a more even surface for frosting. I used to just frost the cake as soon as it cools completely but there are still specks of the cake that gets mixed with the frosting. Chill the cake again for an hour before serving and you’re good to go. Going back to my angel food cake, it tastes good even without the crunch topping but I still sprinkled some over the filling and frosting and it added a new dimension to the cake. Moist and tender at first then a subtle crunch that melts in the mouth and then the delicious taste of the mango. Now I realized I only did five flavors for five days- I still lack two flavors to complete the week. So my project will remain incomplete till I make two more flavors …

Comments

Popular Posts