Homemade Guava Paste

I love making things from scratch!  It may be too much work for a lot of people but I get a different kind of excitement just knowing I whipped my own butter; made my own jam; my own salad dressing or even made artisanal bread.  Hence I kind of regret making my own guava paste a little late in my foodie life.  I think of all the guavas offered to me which I refused in the past.  Well, I like them firm and crunchy and not when they start to soften and that strong aroma would persist to come out no matter how tightly you wrap the fruit in a thick brown bag.  But not anymore!  There are delicious things I can make out of this fruit- starting from guava paste which I came to love thanks to Karen.  And so, here comes my first homemade guava paste!
 


GUAVA PASTE - GUAYABATE
Recipe adapted here

INGREDIENTS:
Guavas, peeled, approximately 3/4 to 1-1/4 pounds (10–18 guavas)
Water, approximately 1 cup per pound of guavas
Sugar, approximately 2 cups (more or less)
PREPARATION:
·         Cut guavas in half and scoop out seeds. Soak seeds in half of the water.
·         Peel guava halves, cut into chunks, and place in a saucepan with the remaining water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until guava is very soft—stirring often to prevent burning and sticking—then remove from heat (approximately 30 minutes).
·         Strain the water from the seeds (it will be slightly gelatinous), and stir in with the cooked guavas. Discard seeds.
·         Grind the guava through a food mill and measure the pulp. Add an equal amount of sugar, mix, and place in a large heavy saucepan over low heat. ( I used a blender and just pour it through a sieve)
·         Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until mixture is thick and a little jelly tested on an ice cube can be lifted off in one piece (around 20 minutes).
·         Remove from heat and beat with a wooden spoon for 10 minutes or until the mixture forms a heavy paste.
·         Turn out into a loaf pan or small, square casserole pan lined with wax paper, and set in a cool place for 24 hours.
·         To store, turn the paste out of the pan and wrap it securely in foil. Keep cool.
Yields approximately 1 to 1-1/2 cups of guava paste. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, approximately 1 hour. While time-intensive, the resulting treat is worth the effort!
And here’s the fruit of my labor- yummy guava paste Miami style (as one commented on my Instagram post).  I served it with Double Cream Gouda Cheese and was devoured by my GP’s.  No way am I going to refuse those guavas anymore.  Can’t wait for the next season! For sure my kitchen will be really busy. 

Comments

  1. This looks like a great recipe. Can't wait to try it. Can you put this in the refrigerator after and how long does this usually last?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great. I wanna try it with crab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Post! I am really impressed with your efforts and really pleased to visit this post.
    Electric Ice Shaver
    This website
    Original site
    2020 reviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Post! Greatfully delivered information on well topic,Thanks you for sharing helpfull content.
    Check over here
    Visit here
    News

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got a big bag of guava from our daughter's tree. Can't wait to try this in a guava/cream cheese pastry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. is there a problem why mine don't firm up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. put it back in pan and continued to cook but now its way too hard. Guess I'll start over again.

      Delete
  7. Whole grain srp rice pakistan is an excellent source of healthy nutrients such as fiber, phytochemicals, and essential minerals while lower in calories. Not only do whole grains promote good digestion and healthy weight management, but they may help reduce the risk of heart disease and certain cancers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do I drain the guava after boiling? I cooked it for a looong time and it stayed runny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can add guava paste in your dish and dessert to get an extra taste.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts