Project Chicken Biryani launched!

12:14 noon

My chicken biryani is slowly cooking now. It was on high for ten and then I turned it down to medium and waiting with bated breath for that wonderful aroma to fill my kitchen which means it is done!

Will be back for pictures and more details!

12:26

My kitchen smells sooo good! Not quite ready though!

12:44

It takes longer coz' I doubled my ingredients.....

1:35 p.m.

I just finished my chicken biryani lunch downed with iced tea!
Now I'm ready to post my pictures and recipe...

Presenting..... my first Chicken Biryani!

Ingredients:
½ cup olive oil
20 whole cloves
9 whole cardamom pods
1 tbsp cardamom powder
5 bay leaves
3 small green chili peppers-chopped
2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
2 cups plain yogurt
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tbsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 ½ tbsp red chili powder
3 cups uncooked basmati rice
2 tbsp roughly chopped mint leaves (I added them whole coz' they're small leaves
1 sprig cilantro leaves for garnish
1 medium onion, sliced and browned in a little oil with 4 cardamom pods

Directions:
1.Wash basmati rice thoroughly then soak for 30 minutes in enough water to cover; then drain.
2.Wash the chicken and drain, set aside
3.In a bowl, mix all the spices, add the oil, yogurt
4.Add the chicken to the marinade- make sure every piece is well coated and let sit for an hour
5.Boil water in stock pot, add two tbsp oil, two tbsp kosher salt and 6 pcs whole cardamom pods.
6.Add the basmati rice when the water is boiling. Rice should be half-done only. Drain and set aside
7.In a medium pot, spread the marinated chicken evenly then put the drained basmati rice on top, making sure to spread evenly as well. Top with saffron oil then the browned onion. Saffron oil is saffron threads soaked in oil
8.Cover with a clean kitchen towel before putting the lid and cook on high heat for ten minutes
9.Lower the heat to medium for twenty minutes then another ten on low. You will know your chicken biryani is ready by the aroma. The rice should be fluffy and chicken is tender.
10.Serve while hot with mango lassi


Obviously, my iced tea is not enough and this is a more fitting drink to go with my chicken biryani. A delicious blend of mango and yogurt

Mango Lassi

Ingredients:
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup milk
1 cup chopped mango (peeled and stone removed)
4 teaspoons sugar, to taste

Method:
Put mango, yogurt, milk and sugar into a blender and blend for 2 minutes, then pour into individual glasses, and serve.

Notes: It is my first chicken biryani and the actual color is more yellowish- I guess because of my spices. I decreased my red chili powder lest it will be too spicy for me and it was the right decision. I also drizzled my pot with canola oil before I spread the marinated chicken.

Comments

Popular Posts