Carioca anyone?



Nope, this is not an invite to dance. I am not veering away from the theme of this blog just yet ...lol.. I don't know where these delicious glutinous rice balls got its name "carioca" because when I Googled it- none of the results fits the description of this delicacy. Maybe they're known as something else to other people but all I know is that these deep-fried goodies covered with caramel are so good and more so when perfectly done! I’ve tasted some that are either too hard or with uneven caramel coating and that’s not how I want them. My aunt makes perfect carioca – light and crunchy on the outside and the consistency of her caramel is so awesome- it doesn’t melt or become runny when the carioca balls get cold or maybe we just finish every carioca ball she serves us that we never see any melted caramel lol. She told me she had perfected the recipe after so many failed attempts. She eyeballs everything and doesn’t really measure any of the ingredients so that I had to watch her make it one time to come up with the right measurements. So I tried making them earlier. It was ok but I have to admit I have to learn making the caramel because mine turned back to sugar when the carioca balls got cold. My only consolation is I was able to mix the two rice flours well and came up with nice carioca balls. But they are best eaten hot or warm

Carioca

Ingredients:
2 cups glutinous rice flour
2 cups Mochiko sweet rice flour
1 cup whole milk

Directions:
Mix the two flours together, pour half of the milk and stir with a spatula to form a dough
Add milk gradually and mix till a dough is formed
Knead the dough until it’s ready to form 1 inch balls
Put the carioca balls in a tray lined with wax paper.
Meanwhile heat 2 ½ inches of canola or vegetable oil in a sauce pan
Deep fry the balls in batches- do not over crowd them
Drain when golden brown

To make the caramel sauce - In a sauce pan, put 1 cup of light brown sugar with 1/3cup water and let it boil till it thickens to a syrup. It shouldn't be too thick though or the cariocas will be too hard. It should be ready when you scoop some and it doesn't drop fast when you let it fall from the spoon. Pour the caramel on top of the carioca balls in a separate bowl and fold- make sure each ball is covered. You can sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top. I did but just a little. Serve hot.

Comments

Popular Posts