TGIF and for my miracle!

I was really feeling sad as weekend approaches and I even ended my post yesterday saying I am still waiting for a miracle to happen that will take me to the Greek tonight and guess what- my miracle did happen! I will be there tonight, under the stars and listening to Brian and David and Al and who knows who else will surprise us this time! Now I can really say Thank God It’s Friday and thank God for my miracle! More details tomorrow ...

I should have cooked or baked something to celebrate my “euphoria” but I was so busy yesterday. That will come later. But this is what I made the other day. It looks like a slice of a brownie- but don’t be fooled- it is a slice of my chocolate truffle cake. It is dense but so soft and so yummy. I wish I had taken a better shot but my co-workers can’t wait to get their hands on this brownie-looking cake ...lol




Chocolate Truffle Cake
Ingredients

For the Truffles:
4 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
3 tbsp heavy cream
1 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp flavoring of your choice (orange, almond, or raspberry- I used orange)

For the Chocolate Cake:
5 oz bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
5 oz unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3 eggs, at room temperature
3 egg yolks, at room temperature
½ cup sugar
5 tbsp plus 1 tsp all-purpose flour

Directions

For the truffles: Combine the chocolate, cream and butter in a small heatproof bowl set over simmering water and let melt. When almost melted, remove from heat and stir the mixture until smooth. Stir in your flavoring of choice and refrigerate until thick enough to mound on a spoon, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
Line a baking tray with waxed or parchment paper. Scrape the chocolate mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a #3 plain tip. Pipe 8 (1-inch) mounds onto the prepared tray. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.

For the cake: Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or coat with vegetable spray, a rectangular or round baking pan. I used a rectangular one.
In the top of a double boiler or a small heatproof bowl set over simmering water, melt together the chocolate and butter, cool slightly.

Meanwhile in the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle or beaters, beat the eggs, egg yolks and sugar on high speed until tripled in volume, about 5 minutes. Scrape in the chocolate mixture and, on low speed, beat until just combined. Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the flour, using a rubber spatula, pour half of the cake batter into the pan, top with the chocolate truffles then top with the remaining cake batter. Bake for 30 minutes. Cake is ready when the sides start to pull away from the pan and toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Comments

Popular Posts