The search for the perfect brown rice


It is officially over- today! Yes, I found the perfect short grain brown rice. It is chewy, it is nutty, just my kind of brown rice. I guess it is also partly because of the way I cooked it. Well, brown rice is not that easy to make if you don't have that special kind of rice cooker like K has. It has the tendency to become mushy because of prolonged cooking and it ends up bland and just not my type of rice. I came across a recipe in the internet which is very easy and foolproof. The trick is to cook it like pasta although it takes much longer. First step is to boil water in a non-stick pot; add the brown rice which is washed with tap water. Stir once then just allow it to cook for 30 minutes. Just be wary of the time; no need to stir it further if using non-stick pot. After that, pour the rice to a wire strainer to drain then put the rice back to the pot. Put the lid back and just allow the steam to finish the cooking process. Isn’t that easy?


The rice didn’t get mushy even as it mingled with the baby spinach salad on my plate. That was lunch by the way. I used up my left over grapes, fresh mozzarella, Panela cheese, Roma and mini heirloom tomatoes to build my salad with balsamic vinaigrette which I also made from scratch.



I made a marinade consisting of olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper, garlic paste, red pepper flakes, chopped spring onions, chopped cilantro and rice wine vinegar. There bathed the beautiful salmon for an hour before I seared both sides in the pan. I then finished it off in the oven for ten minutes.


And here goes my my salmon and baby spinach and tomato salad- to match my perfect brown rice.


Comments

Popular Posts