Easy Brick Toast



I said I didn't roam around when I went to Mitsuwa Market yesterday but I can't pass up the opportunity to get white bread from the bakery beside the grocery section. It is the place to go if you are thinking of making brick toast.


I've been a loyal fan of this white bread long before brick toast came into my consciousness because I used to have a Japanese co-worker who loves to give me the bread. At that time, I was amused because it is packaged as half a loaf. Until now, there are only five thick slices in a bag for $2.50 but I don’t mind- the bread has a wonderful texture that I love and that fits my need.

Making brick toast is easy. It involves a little crème brûlée aspect but since I don’t have a torch, I rely on my good old broiler to do the job for me. Here’s how to do it.

First, score your bread slices using a serrated knife – two incisions for the topping to penetrate or seep into the bread

Whisk your topping thoroughly- I used half a stick of unsalted butter, two egg yolks and 1/3 cup condensed milk
Spread the top of your bread with the mix evenly

Turn on the oven on broil and put the oven rack to the top
Arrange the bread slices in the middle and just let it cook. Keep an eye on it and make sure to put the bread on the side to prevent burning.

Add a second coating of the topping and let it caramelize to a light golden color


There!
Piece of cake ...

Errrr ... pieces of brick toast!


edit:

I added shredded coconut to the custard topping and it is so good!



Comments

Popular Posts