Food for the Gods 2


I said I will nail it the next time I make it and I did. I finally got the texture I want- reminiscent of the FFTG my cousin used to make for us. I omitted the molasses and dredged the chopped dates with flour so they didn't sink to the bottom. I know I have to do that but laziness often times gets the better of me. Anyway, I promised Michelle I'll post the recipe so here goes.
Food For The Gods

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup pitted dates, chopped
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 extra large eggs
1 cup walnuts, rough-chopped

Procedure:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F and place rack in the upper middle position. Line 9" x 13" rectangular pan with aluminum foil, slightly grease and set aside.
2. Sift 3/4 cup of the all-purpose flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl. Meanwhile, sift the remaining 1/4 cup of flour separately and use to dredge the chopped dates.
3. Using a wire whisk, combine melted butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and eggs in a large bowl. Mix well until all the sugars are dissolved then add the honey. Continue mixing until creamy.
4. Fold flour into the batter using a rubber spatula. I did it in three additions.
Lastly, fold the dredged dates and walnuts.
5. Pour the batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes when using a 9”x13” pan. It should be done when skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6. Cool completely before slicing into bars. I suggest refrigerating for an hour before slicing. I like it chilled before eating as well because then I get the chewy texture which complements the walnuts.

Comments

  1. This is SO good! I'm making this as soon as I go get myself some walnuts! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts