Lunch at work: Chicken Salad


It was so freaking hot yesterday that my plan to make Chicken Mole for lunch at work was sidelined again. Instead, I decided to make Chicken Salad and hoped- if I can, maybe some dessert. So I boiled the chicken breasts and transferred them to a bowl to cool while I take a shower. When I came back, they’re still a bit warm so I went to my room to check my email and stuff. Soon, I was sleepy and thought I’d take a short nap. Yeah right! Didn’t I just fell into a deep stupor and when I opened my eyes, it was 5:45 in the morning. I rushed to the kitchen and prepared my ingredients for the salad. I rough-chopped the chicken breasts, some Gala apples, red onion and celery then whipped my dressing which is mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, honey, celery seeds, salt and pepper. In my haste, I forgot to chill my dressing for a while before tossing everything together. I should have done that while I’m in the shower but I didn’t. And then I couldn’t find my dried cranberries and walnuts. I know I have a whole bag because I didn’t use it when I made my Stuffed French Toasts. I was running late already when I finally found it so I just brought the container with me. I had to toast the walnuts in the toaster oven and then I just tossed in the dried cranberries. I also cheated a little and put the container in the freezer for an hour to quick-chill it in time for lunch. Yes, you can do that but be wary of the time. Salads are not supposed to be frozen he he.... It was enough to feed eight people and I was happy with the feedback I got. They all liked it so here’s my recipe.

Chicken Salad

Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 cups diced apples (Gala or Fuji) (squeeze 1 lemon and toss to prevent browning)
½ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup toasted rough chopped walnuts

For the dressing:

2 ½ cups mayonnaise
¼ cup honey
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp celery seeds

Procedure:

Boil chicken in water seasoned with salt and pepper.
Transfer to a bowl to cool then rough chop and set aside
In another bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients and chill for an hour
Get another bowl big enough to toss all ingredients together.
Gently mix all the ingredients and taste if you need to adjust the taste.
Chill before serving
Serving suggestions:
With toasted bread on a bed of shredded lettuce or baby spinach
Also great with Wheat Thins or multi-grain crackers

Comments

  1. Everyone who is reading this let me tell you that....the chicken salad was DELICIOUS!!!

    I am so lucky to work with Faye.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts