Ube Ice Cream


I can’t believe K had to remind me about making ice-cream again before I remember having an ice cream maker. And this is after wishing I could have one. Now that it’s here, I can’t even find the time to make use of it.

The truth is it’s been in the freezer since April. I just put it back there after making green tea ice cream thinking there will be more experiments following. You have no idea how many flavors and combinations I thought of making and which remained mere ideas and plans.

So finally, I made my second ice cream using the same custard base in the green tea one way back. I used ube flavoring and ended up with plain, with jackfruit and with young coconut.


The flavors are there but I was not able to achieve the uniform velvety smooth texture we get from store-bought ice cream. In fact there are parts that are slushy or with little icicles- something I didn't experience with my green tea one. It can't be because my ice cream maker is not frozen enough because it's been sitting in the freezer forever. I have to find out why and hopefully my next will have better texture.


Ube Ice Cream

Ingredients:
McCormick ube flavoring (about a bottle and a half)
3 cups whole milk
6 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

Method:
1. Place milk in a saucepan on medium heat and bring up to almost boiling point. Take off heat
2. While heating the milk, in a separate bowl whisk eggs and sugar until pale and thick
3. Pour hot milk slowly into egg mixture while stirring constantly
4. Pour mixture back into pan, add the ube flavoring and on low heat stir custard until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
5. Strain mixture into a bowl, and cool over an ice bath. Transfer to a container with lid and chill over night.
6. Place in ice cream maker and churn/stir according to instructions; when finished store in the freezer for 2 – 3 hours.

Note:
I added the jackfruit when I was almost done churning- about 5 minutes




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts