Pickled Cucumbers


This is my rendition of pickled cucumbers inspired by J's little token a couple of weeks back. I was going to blog about it but I finished it off too fast with no regard for posterity or documentation. Funny huh? But it's part of blogging and I want to talk about little gifts; big gifts; good eats; grocery finds and the like- if time permits. And that was really good pickles. It is crunchy with the right balance of acidity, sweetness and a little kick from the sliced jalapeños. I do make cucumber salad which is basically sliced or chopped cucumbers, purple onions, palm vinegar, cracked black pepper, red pepper flakes and sugar but I know there's something else here that makes it really delicious and I have to find out and make it of course! Anyway, J’s C is kind enough to share the link to the recipe with me which I tweaked just a little bit.

Here’s the recipe which I adapted here

Pickled Cucumbers

Ingredients:
4 pieces medium sized organic cucumbers-sliced thinly
1 big purple onion sliced thinly
1 1/4 cups rice wine vinegar
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp red pepper flakes
3 branches of fresh thyme
2 pieces fresh bay leaves
1 tsp kosher salt

Directions:
* Bring pickling liquid to a boil and pour over the sliced cucumbers and onion.
* Refrigerate for at least five days

See how easy it is to make? And it pairs beautifully with so many dishes. I love it with Phad Thai and just tonight- Japanese Curry Rice .... yum!

Comments

Popular Posts