Caramel Apple Bread Pudding


I guess bread pudding is now a part of my monthly treat for my friends and co-workers. I got another batch of bread for that purpose and it doesn’t get tiring because there are so many ways and flavors you can make so the pudding comes out delicious and always exciting. It was a hit when I did a part 2 of my version of Mother’s Bread Pudding a couple of weeks ago. I should be able to lay a claim on making bread pudding and pardon my conceit but I see and I’ve seen how it constantly pleases the people I serve it to. That makes me really happy!

So this time I incorporated the caramel apple aspect to my pudding. I used organic gala apples (because that’s what I have in the fridge); 2% fat milk; light brown sugar, eggs, sourdough and wheat bread cubes and cinnamon flavored applesauce.


I didn’t know flavored applesauce is available in the market- must have been forever but I just didn't know. It really worked for me because then I didn’t have to add cinnamon or vanilla extract to the mix.



This pudding has easier and simpler steps:

First you need:
5 cups stale bread, cut into cubes (sourdough or wheat)
3 cups apples, peeled and chopped into small pieces
6 extra large eggs
4 cups 2% fat milk
1 cup loosely packed light brown sugar
2 cups unsweetened applesauce (I used cinnamon flavored so I didn't have to add cinnamon or vanilla)
butter to grease the pan
2 tsp pure vanilla extract (if using regular applesauce)

Procedure:
* Cut the bread in small uniform cubes (so they absorb the custard mix evenly) and place in a big mixing bowl
* Prepare the custard mix (whisk together the eggs, applesauce, milk and brown sugar)
* Pour the custard mix over the bread cubes and with clean hands mix together. Make sure every piece is soaked in custard and discard tough pieces of bread.
* Peel, core and chop the apples in small pieces and fold into the pudding mix
* Let stand for an hour to allow the flavors to really meld together
* Bake in buttered pan or baking dish for 50 minutes to an hour (or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean) uncovered at 350 degrees F.
* Serve warm with caramel sauce or a scoop of vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce on top



For the caramel sauce, I used store-bought dulce de leche- it is a time-saving alternative to the real deal and not lacking in taste.

.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts