Red Bean and Sweet Cream Waffles (ala Bruxie)

I love waffles! Whether Liege or in its simple drizzled-with-maple syrup-form with that crunchy outside and soft inside texture.  But thanks to Bruxie for introducing that scrumptious waffle sandwich experience.  Now waffles are more enjoyable as we can do sweet and savory as we prefer.  I have made my own version but there are still some flavors I want to replicate.  The timing can't be more perfect as we were on anything-red beans phase this month so I made a big batch of the sweet concoction with the intention of using some to make Ogura Bruxie which has red bean and sweet cream filling. 

Start with the basic waffles which I made using my own recipe: 
Basic Waffle Recipe

Ingredients:
2 extra large eggs, separated
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup rice flour
2 cups 2% fat milk
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 tbsp baking powder

Procedure:
Separate eggs
Whisk together egg yolks, milk and oil
Add flours and baking powder to wet ingredients and mix thoroughly until smooth.  Set aside.
Whip egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff. Gently fold into the waffle batter.
Preheat waffle iron and pour about 1/2 cup batter. Cook according to waffle machine instruction

The filling is sweet red beans which I folded with fresh whipped cream.  (1 cup heavy cream whipped on high with 1-2 tbsp powdered sugar.  I didn't put much because of the sweetened red beans)
The filling is sweet red beans which I folded with freshly whipped cream.  
Spread generously on the prepared waffle
Fold and enjoy!
Sprinkle with powdered sugar if you want a little more sweetness.  I wish my lighting was better :-(

Sweet Red Beans

Ingredients: 
3 cups red beans
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Procedure:
Soak red beans in tap water overnight (I changed the water about four times)
Make sure the beans are fully covered with water about three inches on top
Boil in clean water over medium high heat.  Add more water until the beans soften then add sugar.
Lower the heat and stir every so often to make sure it's not sticking at the bottom.  
It should be done when the beans are tender and it has thickened.
I kind of mashed the beans as I stir but leaving some whole or just broken for texture.  (You may pulse it in a blender if preferred)
Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and cool completely before storing in the fridge
 

Comments

  1. This looks amazingly delicious and crisp! I love red beans! :)

    xx gemma
    gemmachew.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gemma! I wish I have better pics though :-(

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts