Mochi Donuts with Honey-Lemon Cream


I feel like I'm on a mission trying every cake donut recipe I can find and tweak; replicate or draw inspiration from. I am so over fried donuts and I just get a different kind of excitement over making cake donuts. It’s actually pretty easy – just like making muffins or cupcakes so I feel that I need not go too far just to think of flavors to use.

Still, I was really intrigued when I came across a recipe which uses Mochiko sweet rice flour instead of cake or all-purpose flour. I have to try it and I was skeptical at first. Will the donuts be as soft as my other cake donuts or will they be chewy like bagel?

So I finally got to try the recipe last night. I doubled the recipe and yielded 20 donuts. I was hoping I’d get 2 dozens but I wanted them thick so I squeezed as much batter as I could into each cavity.
Mochi Donuts
Adapted from www.lafujimama.com
Makes a dozen donuts

2 extra large eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 1/3 cup Mochiko (sweet rice flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled

Honey-Lemon Cream (recipe follows)
Powdered sugar for topping

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Whisk together Mochiko and baking powder
3. Beat the eggs lightly then stir in sugar and milk.
4. Whisk in the flour mixture until combined. Finally, stir in the butter.
5. Pour the batter into Ziploc bag and squeeze into one corner. Trim the tip and squeeze batter into the well greased pan.
6. Bake the donuts for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Gently run a spatula around the edges to loosen.
7. Serve with honey-lemon cream or dust with powdered sugar or serve with both

Honey-Lemon Cream

Ingredients:

1 cup heavy cream-well chilled
juice of 1 medium lemon
1/4 cup honey

Using an electric mixer, whip the heavy cream until smooth and thick
Add the lemon juice and honey and beat some more until well incorporated
Chill well before using and keep left over refrigerated
All my questions are soon answered as I sunk my teeth into the soft donut. I was really surprised with the texture and the cream gave the donuts the fresh, just a tad tart lift so delicious that I kept licking my spoon. This is something I will make over and over.

Comments

Popular Posts