Chicken Kabobs

Change of plan ...
I decided to just concentrate on chicken with tricolor bell peppers and purple onion served with my home made tzatziki sauce and pita bread. I used chicken breast meat which I cut in one inch pieces; marinated in olive oil, salt and pepper, chili flakes, cumin and lemon balm for an hour. And just fifteen minutes before threading, I added fresh lemon juice and 21 seasoning salute for good measure.

The lemon balm is part of the herb trio from Jenn last year and I thought I should give it a try. I love its citrus scent which I think will make the chicken kabobs tastier.

Chicken Kabobs

Ingredients:
16 pieces bamboo skewers
1 cup finely chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, crushed and finely chopped
a handful of lemon balm leaves
2 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup olive oil
juice of a lemon
2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch pieces
red, yellow and green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 pint cherry tomatoes
extra olive oil for brushing

Directions:
* Soak the skewers in water for 30 minutes.
* In a big bowl, whisk together garlic, pepper flakes, cumin, kosher salt, lemon balm leaves and olive oil.
* Add chicken; turning to coat with marinade. Transfer into a Ziploc bag and refrigerate for an hour. Fifteen minutes before threading, add the lemon juice and turn the pieces to coat.
* Thread chicken, bell pepper pieces, onions and cherry tomatoes on skewers.
* Heat grill to medium high and spray with vegetable or grill spray.
* Place kabobs on grill and cook 9 to 11 minutes, turning occasionally while brushing lightly with olive oil. Kabobs are done when the chicken is opaque and no longer pink in the center.

Not lamb like I planned but kabobs nonetheless! And it was a hit because the chicken is well-seasoned and tender, the vegetables are flavorful and crunchy still despite being grilled. With the kabobs, I made tzatziki sauce served with warm pita bread. Here's how I made my simple, no-fuss tzatziki sauce:

The ingredients: 2 cups Greek yogurt, 3 cloves garlic-crushed and chopped, 2 Persian cucumbers, fresh lemon and 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves

Method:
Remove ends and seeds from cucumbers. Chop super fine and drain by letting it sit in in cheese cloth or a very fine mesh strainer. I did the process twice. Mix together with the yogurt, garlic and chopped mint leaves. Chill for an hour or two before serving with warm pita bread.

Comments

Popular Posts