Baked Spiced Apple Donuts with Maple Glaze
BAKED SPICED APPLE DONUTS WITH MAPLE GLAZE
recipe adapted hereIngredients:
¾ cup + 1 Tb flour
¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp apple pie spice (I used ¾ tsp cinnamon and ¼ tsp nutmeg)
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 extra large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla
½ cup whole milk, scalded
1 tbsp plain yogurt
1 medium or small apple grated
¼ teaspoon Mapleine
¼ teaspoon vanilla
3 tbsp whole milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray doughnut pans
2. In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder and apple pie spice
3. Using a pastry cutter, cut in butter.
4. Lightly beat the egg with the vanilla, then stir into batter.
5. Add scalded milk and yogurt and mix only until combined.
6. Fold apple into batter.
7. Use a piping bag to fill doughnut pans about ¾ full and bake for 18-20 minutes or until the tops spring back.
8. Glaze: Whisk all ingredients together, and adjust consistency using milk and powdered sugar.
9. After letting doughnuts cool for about minutes, dip warm doughnuts in glaze and let set.Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar just before the glaze sets
I did my taste test and indeed it was close- but better because of the maple glaze! I used only a quarter cup of sugar for the batter so the donuts came out with just the right amount of sweetness.