Biscuits & Gravy
I found a unique biscuit recipe this morning which uses a combination of cake flour and all purpose flour. Sounds interesting! Never tried using cake flour and modesty aside, I make decent biscuits- in fact, when I made/shared my Strawberry Shortcake two weeks ago with my friends at work, someone requested me to bring some if ever I'll make biscuits with gravy. This must be the time to make some and grant a friend's request. So I tried the recipe today with minor changes. I had to adjust the flour measurements to make it work for me. It was kinda soft which means the biscuits will be fluffy indeed.
Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits
1 1/4 cup cake flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter, cut into small chunks
3/4 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
2. Prepare ingredients: Cut butter into small chunks, place in a bowl and return to fridge. Measure out buttermilk and set aside. Sprinkle flour on a work surface and have extra flour nearby for your hands and biscuit cutter. Have biscuit cutter and an ungreased baking sheet handy
3. Mix dough: In a medium-large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt until very well blended. Add butter and cut into flour using a pastry blender, two knives or your fingertips, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Pour in buttermilk and stir lightly until dough comes together in a ball.
4. Knead dough and cut biscuits: Dump dough mixture out onto floured work surface. With floured hands, lightly knead dough a few times until it is fairly well blended. Pat out into a circle, 3/4 – 1 inch thick. Dip cutter into flour and cut biscuits without twisting the cutter. Form the dough scraps into an extra biscuit-like shape instead of re-rolling the dough. Place cut biscuits together on the baking sheet so that the sides are touching. Brush tops with melted butter, if desired.
5. Bake biscuits: place baking sheet in the middle the preheated n and bake for 8-10 minutes until they are golden brown. Remove biscuits from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool for a few minutes.
I didn't have buttermilk so I used 3/4 cup 2% fat milk with 3/4 tbsp lemon juice
I decreased the oven temp to 450 degrees F and baked the biscuits for 25 minutes
And they were ridiculously good. I just can't stop eating the biscuits. I don't even have any to bring to work tomorrow.
For the gravy I used:
1/4 stick unsalted butter
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 cups half and half
1 tbsp chicken flavoring
Melt butter in a non-stick sauce pan
Sprinkle the flour and stir to form a roux
Pour half and half when the flour and butter are thoroughly incorporated
Stir thoroughly till all the lumps are gone
Season with salt, nutmeg, pepper and chicken flavoring
Simmer till it becomes bubbly
Serve over biscuits