Egg pie and egg tarts


I went on an egg shopping binge during the weekend when I saw they ware on sale. Why not? They're a must-have in the kitchen considering the amount of baking I do. So looking at my stack of egg trays, contemplating on what to make first, I decided to bake two egg desserts yesterday. The first one is the lighter egg pie which uses the following:
Ingredients:
4 eggs-separated
2 1/3 cup whole milk
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch

Directions:
In a bowl, mix the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and milk; set aside. In another bowl, beat the whites into soft peaks before folding it to the yolk mixture. Pour into prepared or store bought pie crust in tins and bake at 350 degrees F till the filling sets.
I should have an even brown top but I think I didn't do a good job at folding my whites to the yolk mixture or my whites are a little bit stiff than it should have been.
I also made egg tarts which are the creamier version of the egg pie because I used heavy cream and just the yolks for the filling. Recipe follows :-)

Egg Tarts Recipe
(Makes 10 tarts)

Ingredients:
For the crust
1 frozen and rolled Pillsbury 9-inch pie crust

(Filling:
4 egg yolks
(1/3 cup of sugar
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Use an electronic hand beater to blend all five ingredients for about 3 minutes and strain the filling through a strainer to make sure there are no lumps from sugar and egg yolks. Set aside.

Method:
Preheat oven to 375 F. Butter the muffin pan.
Unroll the frozen pie crust dough in a lightly floured surface
Cut into 10 rounds and fit them in buttered muffin pan- do not over stretch
Fill each crust with the egg mixture (about 80% full).
Bake at 375 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes or until the filling sets

Comments

Popular Posts