Mango Panna Cotta

Spring is panna cotta season! The fruits are at their best this time of the year which goes on until summer- especially mangoes. Finding a real sweet batch from the Asian store, I made mango panna cotta twice already and for sure I'm not done yet.

I made the first one for a co-worker's last day at work last Thursday. I wish I captured the expression on his face- everyone's at the lounge when I inverted this into a serving platter and drizzled caramel sauce on top. Not the best pictures though because I had to make it quick as everybody wants a piece of it already. Needless to say it was a big hit but there- I said it anyway. But what is not to love in panna cotta? It is the perfect dessert anytime of the year and with good ingredients thrown into it, now way it won't come out a winner.


For this I used whole milk with a can of condensed milk so I didn't use sugar anymore. The caramel sauce is for effect and to add a little sweetness since I didn't use any sugar with all seven cups of milk. The mango flavor comes from the mango nectar and the mango bits which I spread on the mold before pouring the mango milk.

Here's the recipe:

Mango-Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta

Ingredients:
7 cups whole milk
1 can condensed milk
1 Madagascar vanilla bean, scraped from the pod
1 can mango nectar
4 packets Knox unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup water
2 cups fresh ripe mango bits
mint leaves- optional

Procedure:
Pour milk, condensed milk and mango nectar in a medium sauce pan
Add vanilla paste and stir
Bring to a gentle boil over medium high heat
Meanwhile sprinkle unflavored gelatin over water and allow to bloom
Stir into the mango milk mixture
Remove from heat and pour into a fine sieve over a bowl
Allow to cool a little bit, occasionally stirring
Spread half of the mango bits (and mint leaves if using) at the bottom of the mold
Pour mango milk and blast chill in the freezer for an hour before transferring to the fridge to completely chill for two hours before serving
Drizzle caramel sauce on top if you want

Notes:
This recipe yields one thick and full bundt shaped panna cotta
and one dessert glass which I forgot to take picture of.


The second one is a little bit healthier- no condensed milk and more of the sweet mango goodness. It's not as creamy but delicious nonetheless.


Ingredients:
6 cups whole milk
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 can mango nectar
3 packets Knox unflavored gelatin
1/3 cup water
2 cups fresh ripe mango bits
mint leaves- optional

*** Scroll up and refer to the same procedure


Comments

Popular Posts