Saturday menu scrapped

I already planned to make my Black Paella yesterday but when I went to Albertson's to shop for my ingredients, they didn't have mussels or clams and the shrimps didn't look attractive to me at all. Being my lazy self who most of the time will not go to another store to find what I need, I concluded that they're not available anywhere. So I ended up making baked pork chops with gravy, chunky corn chowder and chocolate tres leches cake for dessert. These are not new recipes so you can find the recipes somewhere in this blog.

I was requested to make Sweet Rice Cake with Custard Topping for a baby shower so I made and extra tray for the house. It is my deviation from the popular Filipino dessert Cassava Cake with Custard Topping and is equally delicious. The trick is in the correct rice/water ratio so that the rice don't come out mushy or overcooked.



Sweet Rice Cake with Custard Topping

Ingredients:
6 cups sweet rice
4 cups water
2 cups light brown sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
1 can coconut milk

Procedure:
Cook rice in a non-stick pot using the above measurement, set aside
In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and sugar then add in the coconut milk
Bring to a boil stirring constantly
Add the cooked rice when the mix becomes bubbly
Mix gently but make sure the rice is well coated with the coconut milk mixture
Turn off the heat
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Transfer the rice to a well greased baking pan or dish and spread evenly
Bake for 15 minutes

Custard topping (prepare this while rice is baking)
6 extra large egg yolks
1 can condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla

Mix with a wire whisk then run the mixture through a strainer
Pour over rice cake (evenly)
Continue baking till custard becomes bubbly and light caramel in color.
Do not overbake- remember the rice cake is already cooked, you are just baking the custard topping at this point which should be done when toothpick or skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle

The other request is for my Bisquik Bibingka with cream cheese. This is my version of the Filipino bibingka. This one has earned its reputation among my friends and relatives as "comparable" if not better because it is airy and moist and cream cheese brings a new dimension to its flavor. The original one uses white cheese which I find too salty for my taste.


Bisquick Bibingka

Ingredients:
1 ½ cups Bisquick mix
1 ¼ cups sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
5 extra large eggs, separated
2 cups whole milk
8 oz. cream cheese or butter, cut into chunks

Procedure:
Heat oven to 300
In a large bowl, sift together Bisquick, 1 cup sugar and baking powder
In another bowl, stir in egg yolks to the milk
Add milk and egg mixture to dry ingredients and blend well, set aside
In another clean bowl, sift the remaining ¼ cup sugar over the egg whites
Beat with an electric mixer until stiff
Fold into the Bisquick batter
Pour into a baking pan lined with parchment paper
Bake for 10-12 minutes then remove from the oven and add pinches of cream cheese. Increase the temperature to 350 and return the pan to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Serve with grated young coconut.

Optional step: mix together a little sugar and milk, then glaze cake at the very end and then set oven to broil until the top develops a browned sugar crust.

It's a cold and windy Sunday and still deciding what to make today.
Stay tuned ...

Comments

  1. Hi Faye,
    What size pan do I use for the Bisquick Bibingka?

    Thank you,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mandy!

    I use my 8x11 baking pan or the aluminum pan which is popularly called half-tray (probably 7.5x10.5)just a little bit smaller than my baking pan. You can also use your rectangular casserole or Pyrex dish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts