Ms T makes the coffee; I bake the scones!

We’re on our second week of delicious espresso glory courtesy of Ms T and her new espresso gadget which makes that frothy concoction.  Sadly, migraine is my nemesis and migraine thrives on caffeine. I guess you know what happens when I indulge.  But I fall victim to my weakness sometimes; or is it a lot of times? That is something I have accepted albeit regretfully and I always deal with the aches somehow. You know, savoring a wonderful cup and then prepare for the worst :-)   Meanwhile, good coffee deserves something of the same class so the serial baker in me made Cranberry-Orange scones for our breakfast today.  So who needs Starbucks when Ms T and I can make the best breakfast together? (I would jestingly refer to myself as a serial baker/cook because I tend and I love to do/make series of anything that interests me).

I was going to do a repeat of the blueberry ones I made the other day but someone accidentally trashed my blueberries.  Fortunately, I have all the ingredients for another popular flavor which is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser despite its simplicity.  Cranberries and orange- there's something about the two that makes the combination almost magical just like blueberries and lemon and strawberries and balsamic vinegar.  The just do pair well together.   

You bet, just well-chilled unsalted butter; milk; fresh oranges and cranberries equals flaky and light scones that will make you forget about calories although according to Ms JC- it’s not that bad.  Regardless, what can be so bad about these ingredients?  And if it’s wrong- then I don’t want to be right because these scones are worth every calorie in the world.
Here's how to make them:

Cranberry- Orange Scones

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour- plus more for dusting
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp grated orange zest
¾ stick very cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1 cup cold whole milk
½ cup dried cranberries
Whole milk to brush the tops
Demerara or Muscovado sugar to sprinkle the tops

For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
4 tsp freshly squeezed orange juice

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Sift together flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl
Add in cubed butter and cut into the flour until they’re broken into little pieces
Stir in the orange zest then make a well at the center of the bowl and pour the milk
Gently fold the flour mixture immediately followed by the dried cranberries
Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and with floured hands gently knead and form into a log.  Do not overwork.
Flour a serrated knife and divide the dough into four then make triangles out of each portion
Arrange in a parchment-lined jelly roll pan
Brush the tops with milk and sprinkle Demerara of any light golden brown sugar
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the tops are lightly browned and scones are firm when gently touched.
Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack
Drizzle prepared orange glaze on each scone (whisk together orange juice and powdered sugar together until creamy and glossy)
Serve with tea or just like in our case- the best espresso in town. 
Taken with my cell phone-  want one? I just remembered- I could have taken pictures of Ms T's amazing coffee gadget.  Next time for sure~ when I bake more scones.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts