Ginger Crème Brûlée with Roasted Pear


Last year, I was on crème brûlée mode which started in November.  I made green tea, Thai tea, vanilla bean; even Nutella which I couldn't get enough of that I had to make it into a casserole with brûléed top.  I think I could make any flavor my heart so desires but the one that I really wanted to revisit is the ginger flavored one I made for K. While it had the perfect texture and flavor- I didn't have a torch then and I didn't really do a complete post for that.

I thought I'd make it last year too and that was the plan; but I'm a busy girl with so much on the "to make list but with so little time. So tonight, a year and a month after, I recreated it with a little bonus- a slice of roasted pear on top which is sprinkled with sugar before it is torched.  Yes, I finally have my own blow torch.  Hmm I think I already posted about it being one of the Christmas presents I received last year.

I have grown accustomed to the pear and ginger pairing maybe because of the crostatas I made and they're so perfect together.  I think I'd roast some more not to use as topping but purely as a snack.  I love the chewy soft texture with the spice of the ginger with just a hint of sweetness from the sugar.  I'll do a separate post on it for sure.



The pear slices are lined up in a cookie sheet sprinkled with two tablespoons sugar and roasted in the oven at 375 degrees until lightly golden and tender.  So here's how the crème brûlée came to be.  Please excuse the bad lighting- the pictures didn't come out nicer.


Ginger Crème Brûlée with Roasted Pear

Ingredients:
4 cups half and half
3/4 cup sugar plus more for topping
2 inch ginger root sliced thinly
6 extra large egg yolks
1 D'Anjou or Bosc pear, sliced thinly
2 tbsp granulated sugar




Method:
Scald milk with the sliced ginger in a sauce pan, making sure to keep an eye on it as it tends to overflow when it starts boiling
Remove from the stove and set aside for the ginger to steep some more
Meanwhile, beat the yolks and sugar together until creamy and the color turns pale yellow
Place atop a bowl with iced water and slowly drizzle the ginger infused milk while whisking with the other hand.  You can also do this in a stand up mixer if it's easier for you
Return the mixture into the sauce pan and back into the stove on medium high heat
Stir constantly until the custard mix starts to thicken enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon
Strain the mixture in a fine mesh or cheese cloth and discard ginger slices
Pour the mixture equally into ramekins
Place in a roasting pan filled with water reaching half of the ramekins.  I placed a rack in the center of the roasting pan to elevate the ramekins a little
Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees F with the center still a little bit jiggling
Remove from roasting pan and cool completely before storing in the fridge overnight or for six hours or until well chilled and firm
Place a slice of roasted pear in the center of each ramekin
Sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar on top
Use a blow torch to melt the sugar or place in your broiler for the finale.  Make sure to move the ramekins around with the use of a tong to melt the sugar evenly
Return the ramekins to the fridge and chill before serving
Enjoy


Hmmm...... I love how the crunchy caramelized sugar cracks when hit with the spoon and the creamy, velvety custard in my mouth with ginger to cut the richness and the bonus roasted pear.  I think I should serve extra slices for each ramekin.  It's soo good! 

Comments

  1. Oh...so pretty! This ginger creme brulee reminds me of a famous Chinese dessert (egg custard with ginger)! This must be heavenly with the brulee nad roasted pear on top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you- it's really a huge compliment coming from you :-) The inspiration actually came from the dessert- thanks to K who told me about it. The roasted pear is a sort of an afterthought but will be a regular component whenever I want to indulge in this dessert.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts