Memories of the clam chowder

To this day, there’s one clam chowder that remains unrivaled and will forever be ensconced in my food memory bank. Summer, some years ago when my best friend and I spent a weekend in Santa Barbara. We went to the marina to have dinner and we chanced on this restaurant, I can’t even remember the name. Only the taste of the clam chowder we ate comes to mind when I remember Santa Barbara. I would love to taste the wonderful thick goodness filled with fresh clams which is creamy and had that certain bite in it, a little kick, some spices that I can’t figure out, maybe some ginger root but I’m not sure. I guess it’s this craving that made me try to make my own clam chowder one Sunday. Trying to get the feeling again….. so here's my clam chowder, appeasing my craving....


Ingredients
6-7 pieces bacon, cut into small pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
2 (5 ounce) cans baby clams, with juice reserved
6-7potatoes,cubed
2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of celery soup
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon dried dill weed

Directions:
Add bacon to sauce pan and cook on medium low heat until crispy.
Add onion and cook until translucent.
Add clam juice from both cans.
Add potatoes.
Cook and cover until potatoes are fork tender, about 10-15 minutes.
Stir occasionally so potatoes won't stick.
Add clams, soup, cream, milk, and dill weed.
Add butter and let melt into the chowder.
Cook for about 30 minutes or until thickened.

Serve while hot with your favorite dish

Comments

Popular Posts